Sunday, February 20, 2011

Reading Spree

Reading to my heart's content









So i decided not to get cable when i moved into my new apartment a few months ago. Why? Well not only could i save money for fashionable splurges, but, secondly i found that TV was taking over my life. I just couldn't miss certain shows, and noticed that my social life was suffering because of it. And dolls, we just can't have my social life being tampered with!
I do miss my Oprah fix, not to mention Top Chef, Gossip Girl, The Real Housewives, and (don't judge me) Jersey Shore, but the truth is i can find these shows online and watch them any time i like. Freeing up the time i used to dedicate to being a pretty cute couch potato, to doing other things, for example reading.
I've always liked reading, but now i think i am in love, reading a new book almost every week. Most recently i read Jenny McCarthy's Love, Lust, and Faking It (quite funny), Zora Neale Hurston's Their Eyes Were Watching God (a lesson in how simple love can be), Diane Von Furstenberg's A Signature Life (an inspiration), Junot Diaz's The Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao (well written, fun to read masterpiece), and am now unto Diana Vreeland's DV.
I now find myself excited to pass the time away as i wait for a train with a good book in front of me. Almost missed my stop a couple of times by being lost in a book. I would have it no other way though, my brain is being stimulated for the better, on a different amusement park ride every time i start a new book.

No comments:

Post a Comment